The Venezuela Peace Committee, of which Peace Alliance Winnipeg is a member, is hosting two events that will interest Winnipeggers concerned about the ongoing crisis in Venezuela:
Dec. 5th: The Geopolitics of Oil and Venezuela
Robert Schultz Theatre – University of Manitoba
4:00 to 5:30 PM
Dec. 6th: Venezuela – What is really going on?
Ukrainian Labour Temple, 591 Pritchard Avenue
The main speaker at each event is Professor Johnny Marquez, a Venezuelan lawyer, diplomat and scholar and president of the Latin American and Caribbean Center for Energy and Environment Studies.
– Venezuela Peace Committee
– Geopolitical Economy Research Group
– Global Political Economy Program
– Association of United Ukrainian Canadians (Winnipeg Council
– Economics & Society, Department of Economics
– Peace Alliance Winnipeg
– Department of Political Studies
– Las Americas & Chilean Human Rights Council
– Migrante Manitoba
Please help promote these events by sharing this article or circulating the poster, which you can download here.
The Venezuela Peace Committee is also promoting a petition that calls for Canada to cease its interference in Venezuelan affairs. The text reads as follows:
- On September 22, 2017, the Government of Canada imposed new sanctions against Venezuela, Venezuelan officials, and other individuals under the Special Economic Measures Act in violation of the sovereignty of Venezuela;
- Such sanctions impede dialogue and peace-building in Venezuela and in the region more generally;
- These sanctions impede the normal operation of Venezuela’s duly constituted political processes including elections;
- The Government of Canada has supported the U.S. government’s sanctions against Venezuela
- The Government of Canada has met with, supported, and continues to echo the demands of Venezuela’s violent anti-government opposition;
- The Government of Canada refuses to recognize the legitimacy of Venezuela’s democratically elected government and falsely refers to it as dictatorial; and
- The government of Canada seeks to promote foreign intervention in the internal affairs of Venezuela.
We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to immediately lift all sanctions against Venezuela, Venezuelan officials, and other individuals, retract all statements in support of US sanctions against Venezuela, immediately cease its support for the efforts of the US and other right wing governments in the Organization of American States (OAS) that violate the sovereignty and self-determination of another member-state and immediately cease all intervention against Venezuela.
To sign this petition, go here.