Spread the love
In December, 2009, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives released a 10-page report on Canadian military spending by Bill Robinson.
Among it many findings:
- Current fiscal year military spending will reach $21.185 billion, a 9.6% increase over the previous year.
- Military spending is the highest it has been since the end of the Second World War.
- Canadian military spending ranks 6th among NATOs 28 member countries and 13th in the world.
- Our military budget is 20 times the size of our spending on the Environment department.
- The war in Afghanistan, understated on official estimates, has cost Canada between $12 to $15 billion, so far.
- Harper’s 20 year plan for military spending will end up costing Canadians between $415 and $440 billion (in 2009 dollars), or about $13,000 for each citizen.
The report is available for free download at the CCPA.